Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Life of Pi 3D: First Viewing


Yesterday I finally got around to seeing LIFE OF PI. My high school buddy was visiting and we were killing time in the city while we waiting to meet a friend of hers for dinner. As a spur of the moment plan, we didn’t realize until we got to the theatre that the showing we were headed to would be in 3D. I tried not to grumble about shelling out the additional four bucks, especially once I learned that my companion had never seen a movie in 3D before. I had to concede, four dollars extra was well worth it to watch her experience it for the first time.

The last few movies I’ve been in 3D have been somewhat of a letdown. I think my expectations were raised unrealistically by the mastery of CORALINE and AVATAR, the first two movies I saw in 3D. Avatar was… well, it was what got everyone so hooked on the stuff in the first place, and it was pretty spectacular, but I’m convinced that the nature of the narrative sucked you in more than the detail of the 3D CGI. CORALINE, though, was really like art, turning the two dimensional animation into something almost tangible. As the story became darker, the 3D animation became closer, more real, and more menacing. It was so effective, it completely sold me on 3D movies, so much so that when a gang of friends went to see the latest RESIDENT EVIL flick, I tagged along, looking forward to the famously filmed-in-3D action sequences. It turned out to be an excellent example supporting the argument that, like CGI, 3D does not a great movie make (no matter what George Lucas says, or James Cameron). Not to be swayed, I tried INCEPTION in 3D, and HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON. The problem with the 3D in those films is that it was sorely underutilized; they simply hadn’t been directed or filmed with 3D in mind. This was my fear for LIFE OF PI, that I would leave feeling like I could have spent four less dollars for the same experience.

(At this point in the writing I experienced a marathon of awful, five days of flu leading up to the first week of school, followed by the inevitable two weeks of crippling January/February depression. During that period I watched a Downton Abbey in its entirety at least twice, and no reviews there, either, so in a way I’ve already broken my far from perfect record. Nevertheless, I made a promise that I would at least TRY this… resolution, so I’m going to try. I’m going to try.)

Where was I? Oh, yes, I wasn’t (as Zoe of Firefly would say) sanguine about the 3D experience in LIFE OF PI, and I was also a little worried about my friend’s reaction. Some people find that 3D films give them a headache, or (worse) vertigo, and some people’s brains just won’t accept the optical illusion, and they see the film as a blurry incoherent mess. Fortunately, in both instances my fears were wholly unfounded.

I had been told that LIFE OF PI was an exquisite film, but I didn’t really believe it. We Westerners have a tendency to gush over the beauty of a scene that is, in reality, simply exotic, sometimes highlighting this with a supersaturated palate. But LIFE OF PI was exquisite, and I saw immediately that the 3D was a big part of that. Unlike the 3Disappointments I had seen previously, the effect was used on a variety of different levels, not simply for the big action moments, but also highlighting little details that almost went unnoticed. The result was my immediate immersion into the world of the film. I can’t imagine the subtle layering of the opening credits sequence without the 3D effect. During the rainstorm sequences, I shivered and wanted to wipe droplets from my glasses. At least I wasn’t alone. When I thought to check on my friend sitting next to me, it was because I heard her squeal during one of Pi’s encounters with Richard Parker. I realized that perhaps it was unkind to take a 3D movie virgin to a film where a tiger is constantly leaping at your face.

Apart from the entertainment factor provided by my poor companion, I did greatly enjoy the movie. The shots were breathtaking, the special effects wholly believable, the acting excellent. But more than anything, it made me realize how long it has been since I read LIFE OF PI: nearly ten years. I should have reread it before seeing the movie, I thought barely a quarter of the way through. I wanted to pause the film and run home for my copy. It’s sitting on my shelf; I liked the book so much I’ve kept it through several moves. As usual, I took issue with the adaptation, but I had no way of knowing if my memory of what “really happened” in the book was accurate or not. There’s really only one solution: a reread of LIFE OF PI is in order. 

No comments:

Post a Comment